The Feeling of Inadequacy

"You can't do it."
"You're not good enough."
"Who told you you could do this anyway?"

No worries; I've been there too.

This is what inadequacy feels like and it hurts. I feel it when people question my actions or decisions even though sometimes I'm just doing what I was told; I felt it hugging my knees crying out to God from the laundry room (in between sobs) questioning why he has me in the places he does when, clearly, I'm not good enough or equipped enough to be in leadership in the first place; and even though I've moved on from hurts like those, I still feel inadequate.

I do this funny thing in the notebooks and journals I keep. If they're for taking notes but I need a piece of paper at the time to write down something on my heart or something I think the Lord is speaking to me, I turn to the very back of my journal and flip it upside down. Sometimes I review these little blurbs that come across my heart, and one day in chapel as I was flipping through to write a new insight down I stumbled across this one:
February 11, 2014: "Who am I to feel inadequate for the things God has called me to? Who are you Satan to tell me I'm not where God has called me to be? The LORD, the Author of Life, the Creator of all things has made me ADEQUATE!" 
Wow. Honestly, I don't even remember writing that (it was a year ago so that makes sense), but clearly I wrote it with a purpose; praise God!. God has made me adequate, and he has done the same in you too! Who are we to question the things God does or why he puts us in situations that seem not right to our earthly mind? Why are we so quick to pray, "Your will be done Lord!", but yet we question the places God leads us to for when he answers that prayer and does his will?

It's because we don't really believe that God is who he says he is.
We don't actually believe he can take us through a season of inadequacy

Well guess what? Inadequacy has no place in life; it has no place in your home, your job, in ministry, or wherever you find yourself. Who does the enemy think he is to tell you that you're not good enough or don't belong where you are anyway? No one; he is no one. Lift your eyes to the hills where your help comes from when you feel like you can't handle your situation because he WILL be your help (Psalm 121:1)

You are a child of the Most High God, a son or daughter of the King of kings and the Lord of lords.
Wherever you are he has called you to that very place to kick some butt and take some names.
If you don't know where he's leading you, take some risks and figure it out! You'll never know true faith if you don't step out of the boat to walk on the water (cliche I know, but true nonetheless!)
You are capable; you are equipped; you are strong; and you are adequate. 

Comments

Popular Posts