Talking that Talk

"Did you hear what she just said to me?"
"I can't believe he would talk to me like that!"
"Don't say another word."

Talking: that thing we can't help but do every single day. It's our source of interaction on a daily basis; sometimes we do it too much, sometimes we wish we didn't at all, and sometimes we have those people we wish wouldn't :)

Quite frankly as Christians, I think we have this part down to a science with our empty words and promises. But why? Because we have become so good at talking the talk without walking the walk that we have conditioned ourselves to say the right things without our actions following suit.

Over the last year, this is something I have grown aware of that I do myself, mostly because one of my professors called me out on doing so. I grew up as a pastor's kid and I think we're the worst at this: if you weren't straight up rebellious then you might have been the "obnoxiously arrogant in Sunday School because you thought you had all the right answers" kid.

It just so happens the latter was my niche. I had to answer every question and try to show up my friends and teachers with my...uh..."extensive knowledge" because to me they didn't know a thing. It took me 20 years to finally realize talk is cheap when it comes to spiritual matters. Jesus puts this so clearly in his teachings: it's not enough to talk about him or use his name when we need something if you're not actually going to put into practice what he had to say.

Obedience to Christ is active not passive.
Shut up for a moment and do what you brag to your friends about doing if you call yourself a Christian.

Matthew Henry said this: "We do but mock Christ as they that in scorn said, Hail King of the Jews, if we call him ever so often Lord Lord, and yet we walk in the way of our own hearts and in the sight of our own eyes." Ouch. Shots fired.

Taking this into consideration today and everyday, may our actions match our words that those around us may see loving Christ isn't a bunch of cheap talk from a status or tweet about #prayforwhateveristrendingatthemoment.

May they see that obedience is action, and would our actions, as well as our words, be in love.


Comments

Popular Posts