A Heart on a Mission

When I first started at Kingswood in January of 2013, I had just returned from a mission's trip to the country of Haiti in October. I thought I wanted to do counseling (because I definitely have my own problems figured out), but the high I was still on from my trip screamed "Sell your soul to a lifetime of missionary service!" So that's what I did. And I thought that's what I would be doing for the rest of my life.

Kids, learn a lesson here: don't try to plan your life out because it will never work the way you want it to. Sad but true!

I was passionately on fire for missions and I was ready to get up and go wherever God called me. India? Bangladesh? Mozambique? Brazil? Maybe even back to Haiti! But as the semester carried on, and as I began to try and experience new things (i.e. reevaluating my life and what I wanted to do with it), I steadily came off that mission's trip high I realized that a full-time career missions lifestyle didn't necessarily mean that I was living my life on mission, I was living for mission.

After a few program changes (that's another story for another day), I finally settled into what I feel like God's calling on my life is: to work in the church, to be the Church, to live on mission for the Church. It wasn't going to be about how many countries I could rack up under my belt, it wasn't going to be about how many "this one time I almost died on the mission field" stories I could tell, and it wasn't going to be about my own agenda.

It was going to be about His.

Living a life on mission for the Kingdom means being willing to be a worker for the harvest because the workers are few. Being on mission means not only knowing your stuff but walking it out in real life for people to see you're legit. Being on mission means a life style that's radically different from anything you've ever known no matter what the cost.

My heart aches to have crazy adventures in far away places, and it especially aches to have someone to share in those crazy adventures with. But if crazy adventures means coming home after a long day telling the story of talking a teenage girl out of committing suicide by making her see her worth through God's eyes, or sitting across from a couple whose marriage is falling to pieces and being a part of that restorative process here in North America, then so be it.

Whatever crazy adventure you might be finding yourself on, live it and live it to the fullest.
Take your heart on the most wild mission you will ever go on by becoming a worker for the harvest and committing to it for the time you have been called for.

Step out. Take the risk. Live with a heart on a mission.

Comments

Popular Posts