The Hard Twenty Somethings: I Turned 21 Yesterday...What Now?

Ah, 21. The prime age practically everyone looks forward to, the age where you know you aren't a teenager anymore but you're not super old (like 30 :) ) but still you feel as though you have finally reached adulthood. The age where you're finally "legal" and plan to make the most out of the night of your birthday.

Unless you're me.

I go to a Christian university (sorry to be stating the obvious) and I love it; I wouldn't change it for the world. Along with coming to a Christian college there are rules, and there are rules against drinking; rules that I am not in any position to argue about or wrestle with whether I need to follow them or not. I'm 21 now, so do I feel the need to go out and get sloshed because I can? Trust me, if I wanted to I would have done that time and time again a long time ago.

For me, choosing not to drink is a personal preference. I don't like how it smells so I can't even imagine how it tastes, I don't like serving it to people at the restaurant I work at, I absolutely despise how it turns people into complete idiots and takes away the self-control they have when they are sober, and I do not think that it is classy or attractive in anyone whatsoever. If you haven't caught on by now I definitely don't agree with drinking. This isn't to make me out to be some goody-goody Christian who follows the rules, but it does make me someone who refuses to put myself in harms way by putting myself in a state of mind where I have no clue what's going on. If you also haven't caught on, it is clear that I like to be in control, especially in control of who I am with and what I am doing while I am with those people. Don't get your panties in a wad, I'll be off my soapbox in just a little bit. 

All I have to say is that it's a proven fact you don't need alcohol to have a good time. Everyone has heard at least one horror story in their lifetime about drunk driving or a friend of their friend, or something of that nature, so why would you even want to put yourself in that situation? People are always making the argument that Jesus drank wine, but let me put my Kingswood education to good use: stop reading the New Testament, a FIRST CENTURY collection of writings, with a TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY lens. The wine they drank was so diluted you'd have to drink copious amounts to feel anything. I'm sorry, but this argument (in my opinion) is invalid.  

I'm stepping off now; take a sigh of relief.

So 21 eh? Well what does that look like if I'm going live a life that seems "boring"? 

21 looks like continuing on a journey where I strive to become more Christ-like everyday.
21 looks like putting aside hurts and moving on so I can catch a glimpse of the plans God has for me.
21 looks like taking one step closer to finishing my degree at Kingswood, surrounded by this incredible family I have come to know, love, and serve alongside for the Kingdom, and pursuing ordination in the Wesleyan Church.
21 looks like searching out where and in whom I find my identity as a Daughter of the King.
21 is looking pretty good if you ask me. 

Comments

  1. Dude. 30? "Super old"?! I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

    I can't believe you're 21...I'm pretty sure you were just an 8th grader! But I'm so proud of you and the woman you are becoming. I can't wait to see your face soon. Christmas, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That's why the smiley face is there! It feels like I should still be in eighth grade, but growing up is a part of the process eh? :) I'll be home during American Thanksgiving but not for very long, so yes let's get together over Christmas! Thanks for being proud of me Carley! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts