It's a Small World After All

"Hi gentlemen; welcome to Ruby's. My name's Alecia; can I start you off with something to drink?"
Gentleman 1: "Um...sure. What do you have for pop?" (Indication customers are Canadian)
"We have Coke products."
Gentleman 2: "Do you have Dr. Pepper?"
"We have Mr. Pibb...."
Gentleman 1: "What the heck is Mr. Pibb?"

This is how part of my evening went tonight when I met two men from Oromocto. I told them Pibb was sort of like Dr. Pepper and it was good so they should try (gotta get on that suggestive selling! :) ) I told them I figured they were Canadian because they said "pop" and mentioned I went to school in New Brunswick. Assuming I went to UNB in Fredericton, I corrected them and mentioned I went to Kingswood in Sussex. The first gentleman laughed...and laughed...and laughed as he questioned my life choices of living in Sussex.

From there we discovered there were people from campus we all knew, and I learned the second gentleman was a missionary to the mainland of Haiti and he and some others are looking to start an orphanage/feeding program in the area where he has been living. The first gentleman (half jokingly) invited me to grab a Pibb myself and sit down with them. As awesome as that would have been, that little thing called work got in the way.

I had a good chuckle the first few times I walked by and the first gentleman, aloud enough for me to hear, said, "Pfff...Sussex...." with a shake of his head, still judging my life choices. This is what I love most about my two jobs: a hotel and a restaurant; you never know who you're going to meet. At the hotel I've met people from Arizona, a college Professor from the University of Florida, and even a girl from New Zealand. At the restaurant, I sometimes bump into these same people, but it is always nice to find Canadians who know what Kingswood is when I tell them I go to school in Sussex.

The purpose of this post? None to be honest with you; other than to say it truly is a small world and you never know who you are going to meet. These gentlemen definitely made my evening just through the small connection of mutual knowledge of a professor and a student!

Comments

Popular Posts