The Hard Twenty Somethings: Finding God in the Ordinary

I feel as though I have been on summer vacation forever...but then again it hasn't really felt like a vacation. I work two jobs (usually back-to-back) Monday-Saturday and even on my days off I usually end up getting called into work. Today was not one of those days, and for that I am thankful.

As I sit on my deck in the beautiful Aroostook County sunshine among the hustle and bustle of town I was reading my daily devotional out of My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. The title of the devotion was, "The Never-Forsaking God", and at the end Chambers says this:

"We have the idea that God is going to do some exceptional thing - that He is preparing and equipping us for some extraordinary work in the future. But as we grow in His grace we find that God is glorifying Himself here and now, at this very moment. If we have God's assurance behind us, the most amazing strength becomes ours, and we learn to sing, glorifying Him even in the ordinary days and ways of life."
As I read this entry I began to think of the post I wrote a little while back about feeling stuck in a rut and waiting for my life to begin. Now I am reflecting on how my days go since starting two jobs: wake up, go to work, run home with time enough to change and grab something small to eat, work until late, come home and go to bed, wake up and do it all over again the next day. How mundane does that sound?

But as much as I feel like my life is a giant circle of doing the same thing over and over again, just trying to get through life until God does that "exceptional thing", I'm sure there have been multiple times where I have missed opportunities in the now because I am too focused on seeing/experiencing the next big thing.

In what seems like a boring, mundane life, am I truly learning to sing and glorify God in the ordinary days and ways of life as I travel and transition through hard times? Or am I just sitting in the airport terminal of life on standby watching as the world passes around me because all I want is the next big thing?
(Analogy taken from "Not Quite Permanent and Waiting in the Terminal on Standby"; The Hard Twenty Somethings)

Take a minute to stop and reflect as you sigh another sigh at your 9-5 job or crazy family life in which nothing out of the ordinary seems to happen. Take a minute to "stop and smell the roses" as the saying goes and don't miss out on seeing God work in the simple, the ordinary, and even the mundane times of life.

Comments

Popular Posts