Roots

The roots started sometime last year. I think it might have been towards the end of last spring and into the summer as a tiny sprout began to spring up from the ground and then all of a sudden came to a stop. A dead, abrupt, painful stop.

And there I was; a little tiny sprout in the midst of a desert season. Some rain fell here and there, but only when I felt like it. The ground got hard and cracked and I was convinced that nothing new would ever come to life again in that desert. I was content to let it stay like that as a new school year, a new chapter began with not a care in the world. I didn't know who I was, what I wanted, where I was going, or why I felt the way I felt all the time.

Getting out of bed and getting myself to class was more of an issue than normal, I lacked in any grace or professionalism in my leadership abilities, and I just wanted out; I just wanted to be done. But then I met the most discerning and wonderful woman I could probably ever meet. I'm telling you, don't take for granted the people God puts in front of you for the season you don't understand the most.

Through Scripture and letting me verbally process things out loud she helped me grasp an understanding of what was happening in my life: "You're like a tree that's being planted in the midst of a desert. You want to see the splendor and the majesty on the surface and on the outside but that's not where God has you right now. You've got roots being planted in your heart that are growing deeper and deeper that will eventually grow into something magnificent and beautiful!"

That blew me away and gave a deeper understanding of what was happening: God was and still is preparing me for something amazing, but what that is I have no clue; I'm not sure if I'll ever know to be completely honest, but that's the beauty of the mystery of who God is isn't it?

I'm thankful for these roots because they have literally kept me grounded when I feel like my spiritual life is out of control. I'm thankful for these roots because they remind me not to settle for what looks good in the moment. There's always something better before me as the roots go deeper in my leadership, my serving, my love, my worship, and my identity as a Child of the Most High God.

"And the Lord will guide you continually to satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden; like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail." Isaiah 58:11

Comments

Popular Posts