I Am Confident in This

"Blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord." Luke 1:45 (italics mine)

What a crazy and powerful statement at the end of Gabrielle's message to Mary that she would give birth to the Messiah, the Savior of the world. I don't know about you but these are definitely words I want to hear. Mary was blessed because she had faith, and I know that if you're a Christian and you think of faith Hebrews 11:1 is always the go-to verse; rightly so.

Hebrews 11 is just a powerful chapter in general because it's literally known as the "Faith Hall of Fame". Boy would I like my name to be up there in a shiny gold plaque. But why shouldn't it be?

How beautiful (and mind boggling and awesome!) is it to live a life of faith?! Mary Magdalene wept until she saw Jesus with her own eyes; Thomas doubted until he physically touched the scarred hands and side of Jesus. Normal human reactions! And what do I have to go off of? Words penned by a guy stranded on an island centuries ago that may or may not even be a true account.

But yet I still choose to believe. Why?

Because believing isn't always seeing. "Blessed are they who have not see and yet believed." (Jesus' words in John 20:29; italics mine). Hmm...that sounds a little familiar! If seeing was in fact believing I would have given up on anything or anyone who told me to keep pressing on in my faith throughout my lifetime, but especially last semester when I felt like I was at rock bottom. I wasn't seeing anything physically about God working in my life, and I was microscopically close to calling it quits for reals and for good.

But praise God for giving people the gift of discernment or else I would be in a pickle!

I choose to believe because without the hope and life the Gospel message brings, I honestly have no reason for living.
I choose to believe believing without seeing is the type of faith and confidence I desire to have.
I choose to believe because I remain confident of this:

"Surely, I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." (Psalm 27:13)

Comments

Popular Posts