Fear Not

The work load is getting harder
The responsibilities are piling up
My heart is lacking in the joy it once felt about being at school; and by lacking I mean it feels dried up and ready to quit at any given moment.

To be honest I am getting really fed up with this desert season I still feel like I am in. I am an Israelite wandering in the desert complaining all the way as I see the incredible hand of God at work in my life and those around me, yet I lack in faith that God is really who He says He is, able to bring me out of this dry and weary land.

Things have shifted for me program wise here at school and I am no longer in pursuit of a teaching degree, and with that comes uncertainty and worry. I have no clue where God may be leading me now because I have made this switch. My ultimate goal was to switch programs next semester so that I could transfer to a different school with a degree I was more interested in, and now all of those plans are even further up in the air than they were to begin with.

Ah, such is life of a twenty-something college student with what may look like too much on her plate at the moment.

For our campus-wide readings this semester we are reading out of the book of Isaiah starting in verse 40. All I can say is wow! After doing a devotional over the summer in the book of Exodus and seeing how the people acted towards God, His character blows me away in the book of Isaiah where He constantly reminds them that they are still His chosen people and His chosen nation. But the phrase that gets me the most is this one:

Fear Not.

So simple yet so profound! I mean...the Lord is the everlasting God for goodness sake! He holds all the waters of the earth (every single lake, river, ocean, pond, you name it!) in the palm of one hand! He can measure the cosmos with the span of one hand (have you ever tried to count all the stars before? There's a lot!)! This God who has chosen to redeem me through the death of His Son on the cross, this God who chooses daily and without fail to love me when I mess up so badly, and this God who has never ending compassion for me when I suck at showing compassion to others upholds me with His righteous right hand!

What do I have to fear? What do I have to worry about? Why should I get all worked up about what a year from now when I prepare for internship or 5 years from now holds for me?

Oh yeah...I don't need to because the LORD is in control.

"But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob; he who formed you, O Israel:
'Fear not, for I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through the fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I AM the LORD YOUR GOD, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."
                                                      Isaiah 43:1-3a
 

Comments

  1. Mmmm....I love that verse! "I have called you by name, you are mine." So comforting!! Preach it, sister! (Also, sounds like we may need an ice cream run to Ashland to talk.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts