This is What You're Doing Here

I am so excited to serve on the leadership team at Kingswood this year!

And by excited I mean a little nervous and slightly terrified.

What if I do something wrong? What if I make a mistake? What if I.... (you fill in the blank). These are the thoughts that have been running through my head as we hit the ground running last week as about thirty of us started to train in how to lead our fellow students and family members. Since I have arrived on campus there has been somewhat of an uneasy feeling in my heart about being here for reasons I do not feel can be made public right now. But all week, and even as the first year students arrived on campus, I could not help but ask, "God, what am I doing here?"

Being in leadership is something I enjoy. I like the projects and tasks that are associated with my leadership positions and what not, but I always tend to feel inadequate and like I am not supposed to be in the positions I am in. Can't somebody else do these jobs better than I can? There must be someone on campus who is better equipped than I am! God what the heck am I doing here?!

So many questions, and always so few answers. But last night we had a worship night with the first year students and anyone who wanted to join. It was incredible to see everyone on their feet or on their knees glorifying a God who is so much greater than we could ever think of and a God who can do so much more than we could ever imagine! Sometimes in worship I like to stop singing and listen; listen to how the voices blend as one emanating our God with the praises He deserves.

A smile crossed my face as I listened and bowed my head in thanks to God for bringing these people and leaders to campus, and a still small voice said to me, "This is what you're doing here." I opened my eyes and looked up to students with hands reaching to touch the Father; with hearts yearning for the words of the songs coming from our lips to become reality on our campus as we journey into a new year.

This is what I am doing here for now in this season of my life. Yes I am here for academics and to glean all I can from some incredible professors, but when it comes down to the wire...my degree is nothing more than a piece of paper. I am here to prepare my heart for something so much bigger than academics or to get a job someday. I am here so that this heart of mine may beat as one with the Father's. I am here to help lead and assist those whom God has entrusted me with, those who walk a similar journey.

In this season of life, this is what I am doing here at Kingswood University.

Comments

Popular Posts