The Sophomore

My new favorite musician to listen to is Ben Rector. One of the songs he has is called “The Sophomore” and it starts like this:
“I don't have too much to say except for a change in weather. Today’s the same as yesterday, stuck in a sophomore effort.
There’s so much I don’t know.”
This is how I’m feeling.
The semester is winding down and not a lot is happening. I feel like I’m coming off this high that has all of a sudden gone from me being busy all the time with classes and assignments to not knowing what to do with my day because I have so much free time. Summer plans that I wanted fell through and I’m not entirely sure what I’ll be doing, and for some reason it just seems as though a wave of discouragement has come over me.
I feel stuck in this “zone of the unknown” where I’m feeling spiritually drained and unsure if God is even listening to me anymore, and I feel inadequate and unintelligent as I take my exams and prepare myself for jumping back into the “real world”.
I don’t say all this to get sympathy or to complain about how crappy I think my life is going at the moment, but I say it as a reminder that God is God and I am not. Whether the plans God has involve me being on the highest mountain top or in the deepest valley, there is no way I will stop putting my trust in Him because He is a good and faithful God who has never let me down.
When I feel like I’m sinking, when trials come, when temporary darkness blinds me from the path God has set me on I will praise Him for He is a good and faithful God who has never let me down. When the sun is beaming, when everything is unicorns and rainbows I will praise Him for He is a good and faithful God who has never let me down.
Thank goodness that what this “sophomore effort” is just a season because for everything there is a season. 
In this I will rejoice!

Comments

Popular Posts